High Level Flow
Depositing ERC20 -
- Approve ERC20Predicate contract to spend the tokens that have to be deposited.
- Make depositFor call on RootChainManager.
Withdrawing ERC20 -
- Burn tokens on Polygon chain.
- Call exit function on RootChainManager to submit proof of burn transaction. This call can be made after checkpoint is submitted for the block containing burn transaction.
Instantiate the contracts
Approve ERC20Predicate to spend tokens by calling the approve function of token contract. This function takes two arguments spender and amount. spender is the address that is being approval to spend user's tokens. amount is the amount of tokens that can be spent. Keep amount equal to deposit amount for one time approval or pass a bigger number to avoid approving multiple times.
Note that token needs to be mapped and amount has to be approved for deposit before making this call.
Call the depositFor function of RootChainManager contract. This function takes 3 arguments user, rootToken and depositData. user is the address of user that will receive the deposit on Polygon chain. rootToken is the address of token on main chain. depositData is abi encoded amount.
Tokens can be burned on Polygon chain by calling the withdraw function on child token contract. This function takes a single argument, amount indicating the number of tokens to be burned. Proof of this burn needs to be submitted in the exit step. So store the transaction hash.
Exit function on RootChainManager contract has to be called to unlock and receive the tokens back from ERC20Predicate. This function takes a single bytes argument that proves the burn transaction. Wait for the checkpoint containing burn transaction to be submitted before calling this function. The Proof is generated by RLP ecoding following fields -
- headerNumber - Checkpoint header block number containing the burn tx
- blockProof - Proof that the block header (in the child chain) is a leaf in the submitted merkle root
- blockNumber - Block number containing the burn tx on child chain
- blockTime - Burn tx block time
- txRoot - Transactions root of block
- receiptRoot - Receipts root of block
- receipt - Receipt of the burn transaction
- receiptProof - Merkle proof of the burn receipt
- branchMask - 32 bits denoting the path of receipt in merkle patricia tree
- receiptLogIndex - Log Index to read from the receipt
Generating proof manually can be tricky so it is advisable to use the Polygon SDK. If you want to send the transaction manually, you can pass encodeAbi as true in the options object to get raw calldata.
Send this calldata to RootChainManager.